FAQs: Technical & Equipment
Contractor Technology Standards
Back To Top
- Operating Systems:
- Windows Vista (please note, this operating system will be phased out by Jan 1, 2014)
- Windows 7 (Windows 7 is optimal)
- Windows 8 (while this typically works, client software has not been redesigned to be optimized to work with Windows 8)
- Random Access Memory (RAM):
- Minimum of 2 GB
- 4 GB is preferred
- Graphics Card/Monitor Resolution:
- Minimum of 1024x768
- Recommended 1280 x 800
- Approved ISP Types:
- Fiber Optic
- Corporate LAN (must be able to result in a min of 3 Mbps downstream)
- Download Speed: at least 3 Mbps
* Typically a 3 Mbps service results in approximately 75% (or 2.25 Mbps) download speed. You would need to check into a 6 Mbps to result in consistent 3 Mbps download speeds.
- Upload Speed: at least 500 Kbps
- CPU Vendors:
* Intel Atom processors are not allowed due to lower functionality – netbooks typically have this processor and are not compatible for our client programs.
- Web Browser:
- Internet Explorer 9
- Internet Explorer 10 (allowed for users of Windows 8, however it is not guaranteed to be compatible with client programs or sites, and we cannot provide guidance for those issues.)
- Phone Service:
- Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
- Wired - Preferred
- Wireless Headset
- A good headset is essential. Many issues with call quality are often traced back to the agent’s headset.
Other Technology Questions
- Are there any internet providers known to be incompatible?
The following internet providers are incompatible:
- Wireless (WISP)
- PCS/3G/4G (Cellular)
- Broadband Over Power Lines (BoPL)
- How do I know my ISP’s connection speed will pass testing?
- To test your ISP’s connection speed, please visit http://myspeed.visualware.com/
- What should I do if my download speed fails to meet the minimum standard?
Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see what your optimal speed is and to determine if an upgrade is needed.
- Can my computer be on a wireless connection?
No, your work machine must only be connected via a wired (Ethernet) connection to your local network.
During work hours, the wireless connection adapter must be turned off or disabled to ensure that all Internet traffic only goes through your wired connection.
Please become familiar with the wireless adapter settings or physical on/off switches on your machine so you may make these changes as needed.
- What if I do not have Internet Explorer 9?
Working Solutions no longer supports Internet Explorer versions lower than version 9. We do not support Internet Explorer 10
(It is allowed for users of Windows 8, however it is not guaranteed to be compatible with client programs or sites, and we cannot provide guidance for those issues.).
- The following phone connections are not compatible (this includes but is not limited to):
- Digital from any cable provider
* Phone services provided by ANY cable company are not compatible with our phone systems
- VoIP telephone adapter connections (like Vonage and MagicJack)
- Other VoIP services rendered via soft phone (like Skype)
- What kind of software do I need?
A PC that is fully updated with all current patches, critical updates, and service packs from Microsoft Update is required.
These requirements are outlined by project as agents are provided with the project offers. Project-specific software will be provided to you at no cost.
- What if I am using an older version of Windows or a Mac?
We do not support Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP or Vista. We also do not support project work directly on Mac OS X or any Linux-based operating system.
- What telephone equipment will I need?
Call center projects require a landline phone with no features and a telephone headset.
Phones must be free from voicemail, call waiting, call blocking and any other extra features so that your phone rings busy while in use.
We cannot accept cable, VOIP or other non-land line phones for project work.
Cable telephones are considered VOIP (voice over internet protocol) telephones.
VOIP is an unstable form of communication where the call can cut out or be dropped.
There are currently no ISP providers in the US that guarantee home users QoS (quality of service).
For this reason, we do not currently allow cable/VOIP phones.
- What else do I need?
Without exception, we require a quiet, secure, uninterrupted work environment during all working
- Why is Part 1 of the testing not working?
Be sure you are using Windows Media Player and have installed all recent Windows updates. You
may also need to disable your internet security program before taking the test, as some security
programs will block access.
- Why is my password not working?
The password is case-sensitive, so be sure you entering the correct case as well as the correct
letters and numbers.
- How do I retrieve my password?
Please go to “Update Your Application,” and you will find a link below the “Login” button to
retrieve your password.
If this is not what you’re looking for, try searching the other three FAQs sections:
Can’t find it there either? Please send an email to AgentInquiry@workingsol.com